Friday, May 16, 2008

Old People in Belgium

Ever since I arrived in this country there has been something that has just annoyed the living daylights out of me, and today it really boiled to a head. So any of you out there who are reading this, understand that this is venting, and a bit of a rant. The level of rudeness in this country is unbelievable; especially from the over 60 crowd. Don't misunderstand what I'm going to say here; I'm not leveling a charge at those over 60 in the US or in Burkina Faso for that matter, I'm only speaking about those elderly people who live here in Belgium.

These people walk around with an air of entitlement and snobbishness that is enough to make one lash out uncontrollably. As an example, I was waiting in line at the post office this morning, and I was next up in the queue. I was standing there, bitching to myself that it must be a requirement that all postal workers the world over take a course in moving at a glacial pace. Anyway, I digress. As I said it was almost my turn. Well right when the guy who was in front of me left, this crotchety old sack of skin, no offense to lovely sacks of skin out there, jumps up from the back of the line and walks right to the window! I was flabbergasted! I couldn't believe that she had just done that. Well not speaking pigeon-Dutch, I could only tell her off in English, which she clearly understood from her reaction. Did that stop her? No, not at all. Did the person behind the counter tell her to go back to her place? No.

Now, yes, there is something to respecting your elders. I'm all for that. This however, was way beyond that. I was furious, and must say still am. I'm sure that much is obvious from the tone of this post. I would still be angry if this were an isolated incident. It's not! It happens all the time. There are geriatric line jumpers all over the place in this country. These people walk around, or hobble would be more apropos, with these scowls on their faces. Not just an unhappy face, but a full on "I was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Congolese natives, and I'll kill you too if you get in my way" kind of looks. It is very unsettling, and not to mention depressing.

What I want to know is why? Why do these people feel that it is their right to get away with all of this? Is it because of their age? Well get over it! It's no great achievement to live beyond 60 or 70, I mean tortoises do that all the time. So what is it? I would love for someone to tell me. Now this entire rant can be seen as ageist by some, and most likely by me as well when I calm down and gather my rational mind again. But at this point I'm just letting the reptilian part run free.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Custom Search